cyber_moggy: (Default)
I stumbled across a recipe for Yorkshire Parkin whilst leafing idly through the cake section of my Cordon Bleu cookbooks recently, and decided that I really ought to give it a go.  I had to "grind" my own oatmeal flour (for which you can read "put it in my trusty electric coffee grinder" - so far, the only thing I have never asked it to grind up is coffee beans), and buy treacle, which, believe it or not, I've never actually baked wit before, but otherwise, it was all go.

The best thing about this recipe is that it is perfect winter fodder.  It is rich and spicy and sweet and you melt the butter with the sweet ingredients instead of putting it in unmelted (the way you do with shortbread), which means that I can make it in winter without having to heat the kitchen for a week beforehand (yes, I am exaggerating) to soften the butter.

The only irritating thing about making this recipe was the fact that my battery-powered kitchen scales didn't want to tell me how much golden syrup I was putting in.  Still, the batter tastes pretty good, so I reckon the results are going to be pretty nice.  I am definitely looking forward to eating the results.

Profile

cyber_moggy: (Default)
cyber_moggy

July 2013

S M T W T F S
 123456
78 910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 13th, 2026 01:05 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios